A beautifully light gluten and dairy free pastry with creme patissiere.
Gluten & Dairy Free Profiteroles
250ml (1 cup) water
80g butter replacement (I use Nuttelex original)
150g (1 cup) superfine white rice flour
3 eggs, at room temperature, lightly whisked
435ml (1 3/4 cups) milk (A2 protein, lactose free, rice milk, etc)
1 vanilla bean, split lengthways, seed separated or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
3 egg yolks
70g (1/3 cup) sugar
50g (1/3 cup) superfine white rice flour
6 tblsp dutch processed cocoa powder
2 tblsp sugar
1 tblsp + 1 tsp milk (A2 milk, lactose free, rice milk etc)
For the Creme Patissiere:
1) Warm the milk and the vanilla seeds or paste in the saucepan. Whisk the yolks and sugar in a bowl until thick. Whisk in the rice flour. Whisk in the milk mixture.
2)Return to the pan and cook, whisking over low heat for about 8 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Pour into a bowl and cover the entire surface with plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator to chill.
For the Pastry:
1) Place the water and the butter replacement in a saucepan. Bring it just to a boil. Remove from the heat and use a wooden spoon to beat in the rice flour until it is combined.
2) Place the pan back on a medium heat and cook, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture forms a ball and comes away from the side of the pan. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
3) Gradually add the whisked eggs 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until the dough is thick and glossy.
4) Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Place heaped spoonfuls of dough on the tray about 3 cm apart.
5) Use wet hands to pat down any peaks on the dough. Sprinkle the trays with water so that steam will be created during baking.
6) Bake for 30-35 minutes or until puffed and golden.
7) Turn off the oven. Use a knife to pierce the base of each profiterole. Place profiteroles back in the oven for 20 minutes more to dry out. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
8) Once cooled, fill a piping bag fitted with a 5mm nozzle with the creme patissiere. Push the nozzle into the base of each profiterole and fill it with the creme patissiere.
For the Ganache:
Mix all ingredients together in a microwave save dish. Microwave at 30 second intervals until smooth and creamy.
Place profiteroles on serving plates and drizzle chocolate ganache over top.
Recipe adapted from: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/26931/profiteroles